Monday, May 2, 2011

Take a seat

Our dinette has looked like this since we moved the farmhouse table into the house and the mismatched chairs have been driving me crazy ever since. They were an eye-sore taking away from the beauty of the table. They were like Cinderella's evil step sisters. And in the same token, they had to go or had to change.


So I searched for white chairs to match the table. Guess what I found - a lot of chairs that were clearly out of my price range. So I scoured Craigslist. And can you imagine how many people don't just sell chairs? Not many at all. Armed with this information, I was bound to make these chairs work. I busted out my favorite tools - Senor Spray Paint and Senorita Primer and sandpaper. 

 The chairs are pretty glossy, so I started the first chair by sanding down the surfaces with a 150 grit paper. It did the trick, but was too long for me. Quick results, remember?!

Knowing that this project was much larger than the lamp project, I invested in a comfort grip attachment for my spray cans. It was WELL worth the $6 investment. After 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of semi-gloss (it was almost 1 can per chair), I was done. It was just in time for a quick walk with Maddicus. Doesn't she look happy?


Yeah, that was BEFORE we left the garage. Little one freaked out on me once I was a significant distance from home. Sadly, I was out of breath, as I carried her part of the way home. The little stinker!

When we returned, these beauties awaited us. It was like new life was breathed into these chairs. They weren't in my original plan, but I love the crisp clean feel that they bring to our table. Now I am looking for 2 more to match or similar chairs to flank the ends of the table. Will you keep your eyes peeled for me?

I know, you are asking yourself, "OK, where is the AFTER photo"...well, I haven't taken one with the mess that has overcome our kitchen table and tonight I am pooped! As much as I hate cliffhangers, I will have to leave you with this...

TO BE CONTINUED...

1 comment:

  1. Don't leave me hanging like this! The chairs look great! Can't wait to see them with the table! Where do you find the time? You are an inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete