Friday, May 13, 2011

Pan Duro aka "Hard Bread" (Biscotti)

I will be the first to admit that my skills in baking and cooking leave much to be desired. So over the years, I have worked my tushie off to "master" a few recipes that I can whip up on any occasion. This one happens to be a family favorite. Thankfully, it is easy!

Here are the ingredients:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
½ cup oil (Olive oil works well or vegetable oil)
1 tsp baking soda
1 – 2 tsp flavor extract (vanilla, raspberry, lemon, orange, or anise – whatever flavoring you desire) – I usually use 2 tsp of raspberry extract to get a stronger flavor
¾ tsp salt
2 ½ cups Flour


Beat the eggs. (Cue Michael Jackson's "Beat It") I use a hand mixer, but a Kitchen Aid Mixer or a good ol' fashion spoon will work well too.
Add sugar, oil, baking soda, extract, and salt.
Gradually mix in flour until the dough is firm, almost pasty, but not stiff. I usually add the flour a cup at a time. Now if you chose the "good ol' fashioned spoon" method of stirring, your arms is probably burning from the force is takes to stir this bad boy. Or maybe I am just weak... 

At this point, you can add any "extras" to the dough. I add white chocolate chips because my family loves them so much, but you can add craisins, nuts, or whatever tickles your fancy. Eyeball the proportion to ensure there is enough dough to hold your "extras".



Pour dough onto two cookie sheets in three oval strips the length of the pan (2 strips on one pan, 1 on the other). And "pour" is a very loose term. I have to use 2 utensils in order to get these strips onto the pan. The dough is sticky and takes some wrangling to get into position.

NOTE: Do not grease the pans. If the bottom of the cookies burn, the oven temperature is too high or the pan is too close to the heat.
  Bake at 350 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until the loaves puff up and are golden brown.

I would like to interrupt this recipe to share with you the wreckage that is my kitchen. Thankfully, I was able to get it under control while the Pan Duro baked.
To ensure even baking, I rotate the cookie sheets halfway through the baking time. At the end of 20-ish minutes, a toothpick should come out dry.
Remove the sheets from the oven and cut biscotti about ¾ “ wide. Turn each biscotti on its side and return to oven until sides are golden brown (approx. 5 minutes).


Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for approx. 5-10 minutes before transferring cookies into storage container.
  • If you want your Pan Duro to harden up, place in a brown paper bag to complete cooling and storage.
  • If you want cookie-like results (this is what I do), put them in Tupperware for storage.
You can make about 20 - 30 Pan Duro for each batch, which is the perfect amount to share!


 It is "Simply Deliciouso"! Enjoy! 




3 comments:

  1. Yumm - are you bringing some to Zumba tomorrow night?? J/K...they look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for my batch Christy! I enjoyed them and was glad I didn't have to share any!!!! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biscotti is one of my favs, this looks really good! Would love for you to share this at Fat Camp Friday this weekend. One recipe is picked every Monday and featured on my front page all week! http://tiny.cc/FatCampFriday29

    ReplyDelete