Friday, May 20, 2011

Safety First

Yeah...uhm...well, remember that whole safety slip tip that I mentioned here. I think that I have recovered enough from the event to share it. Plus my sister, Kimi, said it wasn't fair to dangle it out there.

Deep breaths...okay, so these days the only way that I can work on projects is 1) Ben graciously watches Maddie, 2) I furiously work on things while she is napping or 3) I figure out a way to have her entertained nearby. This time, I attempted option #3. Not my wisest decision...

So I put the table in the entryway of our family room to work on while Maddie bounced away nearby. In the midst of drilling the holes, the drill bit came loose. To make matters worse, the bit was stuck in the leg of the table. No problem! I thought that I could simply slip it back into the drill, tighten it up, hit reverse and we'd be back in business. Well, it wasn't that simple...

As sweet little Maddicus jumped away in the corner, I put my plan into action and hit reverse. And. It. Happened. The bit snapped in half! My arm pits immediately broke into a sweat. Dear God, NO! Where did it go? Is Maddie ok? Stupid, STUPID! After checking on Mads, who continued to jump unfazed, I searched the floor for the broken bit. I found one half on the floor and the other portion was lodged in the table leg.

Taking a brief intermission in my project, I decided this method of "watching" Maddie wasn't the safest option and it was time to relocate her...into Daddy's arms. So that was my "near-miss" of the week.  Thank God that she didn't get hurt. It was DEFINITELY a learning experience. Never again.

It wasn't my finest moment. But these things happen to every parent, right? Did anyone else have a near-miss?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Christy! Love your blog. Maddie is such a doll. We have near-misses every day in our house with a 2 year old who trips a lot and a 6 month old who is on the floor for the majority of the time... recipe for disaster! I'm always afraid Brynlee is going to fall and hit Mac's head or squish him!

    ReplyDelete