Monday, May 23, 2011

Mondays with Maddie

I am giving you fair warning, this is about to be a gratuitous love-fest in honor of our sweet pea reaching the halfway point of her first year. It also helps to be able to update family and friends on her milestones and personality. But let me be honest, I can't get enough of this beautiful face...


Isn't she precious? I know that I am biased, but can you blame me? We are truly blessed. Last week, we went to her 6 month check up. Now for Ben and I, you would think that after 6 months we would have gotten the hang of it. We definitely forgot our individual diaper bags reserved for our vehicles that were left at the house. My momentary panic subsided when Mamasita came prepared with diaper and bottle in hand to drop Maddie off at the appointment. She was so happy and alert. Everything was going as planned...until the diaper came off. Yes, it.was.full. of you-know-what. Seriously? We have one diaper and NO WIPES! I know, shame on us, but the damage was done...until she "showered" the old diaper mid-change. Really? Of course, it is Murphy's Law. And don't you know, she was smiling at me the whole time this went down as if to say "Ha-Ha! I got ya!"

Thankfully, the rest of the appointment was uneventful. Aside from a few shot-induced tears, she was a trooper and the doctor was impressed. She is growing and thriving! She weighed in at a whopping 16 lbs and 13 oz, and 26 inches tall.   

Every month, I have tried to have a mini photo session at home to capture Maddie's growth. It is my time to flex my photography skills as I pretend to be as awesome as these amazing mommas: Rachie and Bethany). I still have a ways to go, but I am having fun practicing everyday with Maddie and Ben.


It seems like her love for her daddy grows deeper every day. It is clear that even at 6 months old, she has her daddy wrapped tightly around her pinkie. The funniest part is that he knows it and unabashedly shows his love for his little girl in every smile, kiss and hug. He is the first one to answer her cries, to pick her up and snuggle after a long day. She is definitely daddy's girl. I am hoping to leverage this fact around birthday and holidays. Hey, a momma can try, right?


Maddie is learning new things everyday. She sits unsupported and can entertain herself, but often prefers interacting with others. She is always watching the world around her, which usually leads to fighting the sleepies at nap time. We are forever grateful for Mamasita, Titi Susan and Uncle Fer's involvement in her daily development and growth. They pray with her, read books, sing songs and work on motor skills. Right now they are working on her standing skills, hand movements, and crawling. In addition, she and Cousin Colty are loved like no other little kiddies. Thank you so much for what you do!

Every month, our photo session ends with a picture series in our large blanket basket. I dream of having a book capturing these pictures at the end of her first year. It is interesting to see her interaction with the basket and watch her size change.


It is clear that she is now aware of her personal photographer...


Some additional stats:
  • She eats like a champ. She has tried each of the first fruits and veggies. She is known to make faces and gag during her feedings, but after taking a whiff of some of those foods, I think that I would too!
  • She has a strong grip. Many times, we are tricked by a loving gentle hand on our face, which usually issues a response of "Awe, how sweet" and is quickly followed by "OUCH!" as she grasps a large chunk of hair (or the tiny hairs at the base of our neck). The whole time, she has the sweetest little smile on her face making it hard to be upset at her.
  • Sleeping...Hmm, some nights are better than others which is why we have fallen into the habit of bringing her into our bed. Ok, keep those judging sighs, looks and eye rolls to yourself. Momma needs her sleep! It is MUCH easier to roll over and pop the pacy into her mouth than to trek down the hall to her room. Granted, she tends to move alot in her sleep and that leaves me trying to execute yoga moves to keep from falling off the edge of the bed. So much for a good night's sleep, but one look at that precious face laying next to us in the morning and it is all worth it.
With friends and family all over the world right now, I am going to try to do this every week. She is a special kiddo. I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for her...and for our family...

3 comments:

  1. I was going to comment on how wonderful your photos were in this post! This week at iheartfaces.com (they do weekly photo contests), the theme is yellow. The rules are you have to post one photo in your post and it has to have a human face (and you have to have taken the photo). You should enter either the first one or the one with Ben and Maddie! You would get so many great comments from people as these are precious photos and you are doing a fantastic job! I love your idea about taking photos of her in that basket as she grows! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful details about Maddie! I love the photos! She is growing so fast and I feel like I'm missing it! The Lord has truly blessed you and Ben with a beautiful little girl and I can't wait to see more of her! Maddie is so blessed to have such loving parents and family. Give her a hug for me :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are blogging! Maddie is so adorable!

    Before I had Addison I admittedly judged parents who allowed their kids to sleep in their beds with them. I certainly have ate my words more than once.. All of our kids have their days, weeks, or (gasp!) months, where they are in our bed with us. Some days we joke that we could live in a 1 bedroom apartment! My look on it now - they won't do it forever, so we might as well get some sleep and enjoy those snuggles!

    ReplyDelete