Friday, March 16, 2012

Writing on the Wall


Since we moved into our home (4 years ago), I have envisioned having a magnetic chalkboard wall somewhere in our basement. I have many memories playing and laughing in our basement with my sisters. So of course, I wanted to pass on that kind of fun to my family.

Deciding on the location was the easy part. There was a small wall between our many storage closets that was begging to be used. It was close enough to the "man cave" part of the basement so that Daddy could keep an eye on Maddie and friends. Then...it literally took me months to decide on the size of the space. I finally realized that little ones need lower access to the chalkboard and therefore landed on this layout. 


After taping off the wall with green Frog tape (it really is the best painter on the market), I used Rustoleum's Magnetic Primer and Chalkboard Paint because I am a huge fan of their product. I read a number of reviews and would have to agree with the results. After using 3-4 coats of the magnetic primer, I have patches of varying magnet strength. It was disappointing, but I was expecting similar results based on the feedback. In hindsight, I should have bought 2 containers of the primer to ensure that I got the correct coverage. Luckily, these inexpensive plastic magnets are light enough to still hold.


The chalkboard paint was really easy to work with. It is very thick and leaves the surface with a texture. One of the products had a VERY strong odor. It actually took a few days to dissipate. Overall, it was a quick and easy project that I was able to complete in the course of 2 nights after Maddie went to sleep. 


The project was well worth the time and effort. We have spent more time in our basement as a family. Maddie loves watching us draw pictures of animals.



If your not ready to commit to painting a wall in your home, here are some alternatives:

Paint the top of a coffee table
Source: diyideas.com via Christina on Pinterest

















Use an Oil Drip Pan
Source: Apartment Therapy
Use a Cookie Sheet
Source








2 comments:

  1. That turned out wonderfully! I love some of the other ideas too. The cookie sheets would be nice in a kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you made a chalk board wall for Maddie. Beautifully done! I think she is going to be an artist :)

    ReplyDelete