Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Man Cave: Side tables

My husband loves sports. Baseball. Hockey. Football. Basketball. When we discussed the feel for his Man Cave, he wanted it to be sports-themed. NY sports themed. He is a huge fan of the NY Yankees, NY Giants, Buffalo Sabres and NY Knicks. Therefore he wanted to include each of those teams. In my mind, "Man Cave" read as something totally different. Panic ensued as I started to picture our basement filled with bright orange, red, navy, gray, yellow and royal blue. Ladies, you are seeing the problem, right? THOSE COLORS DON'T MATCH! I wanted to scream it from the hill tops and it took all that is within me not to put up a stink about it. Ok, I may have made a little stink...No, not that kind!

So we began to gather sports memorablia for his cave. More often than not, our eyes were drawn to Yankees gear - signs, pictures, penants, pillows. Great, right? Gray and navy is classy. (Just like the NY Yankees...that's right Jeter!). I figured that if I could represent the various team logos in gray it would be subtle and cohesive.

I started by printing the NY Yankees and NY Giants logos on 8.5" x 11" paper. The logos were simple and transfered easily to the contact paper by tracing it with a permanent marker.



Using an X-acto knife and scissors, I cut out the logo. This left a stencil on the contact paper. I had forgotten how low tack contact paper was so I had to use a bone folder to trace the perimeter of the stencil so that the paint did not bleed.


Next, I covered the exposed surface with newspaper. On my first attempt, the overspray got under the paper and onto the table. This made for some creative spraying to cover my mistake. My recommendation would be to use tape to cover the entire perimeter where the paper contacts the stencil.


See my mistake?


Here is the final result! For a project that took under 1 hour, I was extremely happy and my husband was impressed too. Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment